This email from one of our moorer's was just too good not to share on my blog. I've promised £10 to Red Nose Day if he let me post it and very sportingly he has offered to donate £10 if I did — thanks Roger!!
"Hi Janet, Sorry to hear about the loss of your No. 8 stencil
This obviously has an impact on me as we are moving from I8 to E38, which given the current situation causes me great concern. Do you intend to get an "8" exactly the same as the previous one or can I expect the end of the Jetties to read something like "IB" or "J3B" which is obviously concerning from an aesthetically pleasing point of view.
Using a rough calculation based on your website marina layout and my limited memory of maths lessons I have worked out that the chances of this grave situation affecting me on both jetties is at least 1 in 15245...
Based on the following assumptions:
- Chances of the "8" stencil falling in to the water, given you have a full set of number stencils 0-9 = 1 in 10
- Chances of NB "Next Generation" moving FROM a jetty with an "8" in it = 26 in 227 (approx)
- Chances of NB "Next Generation" Moving TO a jetty with an "8" in it = 26 in 227 (approx)
- Chances of bystanders being on jetty at that particular time (based on webcam analysis) = 1 in 20
- Chances of said bystanders shouting abuse and threatening to sink you = evens
Therefore, overall probability of scenario = 1/10 x 26/227 x 26/227 x 1/20 x 1/1 = 676/10305800 = 1/15245 approx.
Happy Red Nose Day! Roger Drinkwater
We have been advised of a numer of roadworks in the local area, due to re-surfacing...
Alison is delighted to announce that from Saturday 20th May Overwater's Cafe at Bridge 80 will now be open from 9.30am to 4pm every day during the summer. Why not pop in for a leisurely Overwater Breakfast with a nice fresh coffee or try one of her delicious specials for lunch or maybe an afternoon tea and freshly baked...
Today we welcome Alison who is taking over the tenancy and management of Cafe at Bridge 80. Alison is a fantastic cook who has many years of experince in the restaurant trade and is keen to bring lots of delicious new ideas to our lovely canal side...